The Municipal Performance Measurement Program provides municipalities with a common set of performance measures for some key municipal services. The measures will evolve over time, and new services will be added to the program.
Performance measurement is one of the tools used to assess how well municipalities perform in the provision of goods and services. Performance measurement:
- creates measures or indicators of the efficiency and effectiveness of public services;
- produces information that municipalities can use to make decisions to improve local services;
- strengthens municipal accountability to taxpayers;
- monitors ongoing performance to assist in planning for the future of communities;
- evaluates past performance and allows municipalities to share best practices
The goal of local government, on behalf of ratepayers, should be to find an optimal balance between efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of local services.